Silver dapple Morgans:
About the silver dapple dilution gene
Historic silver Morgans
Pegasus Persuader and the Foxton silvers
Other present day silver dapple Morgans
Silver Mimics: when it looks like a silver, but isn't
Other Morgan Links:
Dun Central Station
The Rainbow Morgan Horse Association
The American Morgan Horse Association
Colorful Morgans for sale and at stud
July 1, 2006
75 Glass Spring Rd.
Covington, GA 30014
Researching the bloodlines involved in the various colors present in our breed is one of the things I most enjoy. For years I suspected
that the silver gene existed in the breed, and one of the horses who drew my interest was a mare named Orcland Youlenda.
At the 2000 AMHA Convention held here in Atlanta, Nancy Caisse of Townshend Farm presented a slide show of horses of the past
from the New England area. In her presentation was a color slide of Youlenda's dam, Paleface (Squire Burger, chestnut X Zona Skinner,
registered as chestnut but actually silver dapple). The mare was clearly a bay silver! I was very excited to see this picture as it confirmed
my belief that silver had indeed been present at one time in the breed. The question was, did it still exist- or had the gene died out?
In February 2002, the silver dapple gene was proven to still be present in the Morgan breed, thanks to the efforts of Nancy Castle and
Sherry Siebenaler working with Bobbie Zeulner, owner of the first confirmed (via DNA Red Factor test) silver dapple Morgan, Zeulner's
Sunka Wakan. Silver dapple Morgans are rare (there are less than twenty verified silver dapple Morgans alive at present, all of which are pictured on this site), but now we know
they DO still exist!
The Silver Dapple Morgans Project website grew out of my research of- and love for- this beautiful and unusual color. It is my hope
that by sharing this information, more silver dapple Morgans will be identified. The purpose of the Silver Dapple Morgans Project is to
collect pictures and information on known silver dapple lines in the Morgan, to further knowledge and awareness of the color in our breed,
and to discover previously unknown sources of silver in Morgan pedigrees.
If you have more information on potentially silver lines of Morgans, or have pictures of silver Morgans to add to this page,
please contact Laura Behning.
The Silver Dapple Morgan Gene Pool
1. Foxton Fawn (Society Statusmaster X
Foxton Felicia), 1987 brown silver dapple mare, owned by Lisa Holec.
CURRENTLY LIVING VERIFIED SILVER DAPPLE MORGANS
This list represents the only known
breeding stock. Also known to exist are two geldings, one possibly still
living (aged) but sterile stallion and one no longer fertile mare. If you are aware of a currently living
silver dapple Morgan stallion or mare that you do not see listed here,
2. Foxton Smokey Dawn (Topside Midnight X Foxton Felicia), 1990 black
silver dapple mare, owned by
3. Amanda's Suzie Q (Devan King X Taha Holly Q), 1994 chestnut (carrying
silver) mare, owned by
4. Zeulner's Sunka Wakan (S Bar B Blksaddle Chester X Zeulner's Marvelous Melody), 1998 bay silver dapple stallion, owned by
5. TMV Silver Hawk (Carbide Smoke X Amanda's Suzie Q), 2004 dark
bay silver dapple stallion, owned by
6. Schaenzer's Silver Eagle (Zeulner's Sunka Wakan X Granaway
Bonne Amie), 2004 dark bay or brown silver dapple stallion, owned by
Rainbow's Gait Ranch.
7. Whiting's Bright Star (Foxton
Blackjack X Foxton Fawn), 1998 black silver dapple mare, owned by
Inya Kara Morgans.
8. Whiting's Fancy Star (Foxton Debonair X Foxton Fawn), 1999
brown silver dapple mare, owned by Joyce Urroz.
9. Zeulner's Silver Legacy
(Zeulner's Sunka Wakan X Oregon N Blksaddle Ecstacy), 2005 black silver
dapple stallion, owned by
Sterling Morgan Horses.
10. Lone Pine Starlite (Dutch Royal Tribute, bay X Pegasus Polka Dot, chestnut carrying silver), 1998 bay silver dapple mare, owned by Upsondowns Morgans and
Stone Pine Morgans.
11. Erber's April Joy (Erbers CF Onyx X Pegasus Prime Joy), 1998 bay silver dapple mare, owned
by Upsondowns Morgans and
Stone Pine Morgans.
12. Foxton Frosty Dawn (Foxton Society Beau X Foxton Smokey Dawn), 2002 dark bay or brown silver dapple mare, owned by
13. Unconventional (Gone Gold X Foxton Frosty Dawn), 2006
bay silver dapple colt, owned by
Pictured above, left: Foxton Frosty Dawn (Foxton Society Beau X Foxton Smoky Dawn),
2002 dark bay silver dapple mare owned by Laura Behning. Right: Foxton Fawn
(Society Statusmaster X Foxton Felicia), 1987
brown silver dapple mare owned by Lisa Holec. Both mares tested homozygous for black on Red Factor testing by UC Davis.